Summer Reading Program
System Meeting Resources | Statistics | Performers | Planning | Partnerships | Grants | Promotion | Resources
Summer Reading at NYS Libraries
System Meeting Resources
- CSLP: Oceans of Possibilities 2022
- Tails and Tales 2021
- Imagine Your Story 2020
- A Universe of Stories 2019
- Libraries Rock 2018
- Build a Better World 2017
- On Your Mark, Get Set…READ! 2016
- Every Hero Has a Story 2015
- Fizz Boom Read 2014
- Dig into Reading 2013
- Performer Contract Template
- NYS Performers and Programs website
- Summer Reading 2023 Performer Showcase (November 30, 2022) Featured Performer Handout
- 2022 CSLP Summer Symposium (December 8, 2022)
- CSLP Cultivating Affirmation & Belonging for LGBTQIA+ Youth Recording (November 22, 2022) Cultivating Affirmation and Belonging Slides and Handout
- FLLS Meetings & Groups:
- Summer Planning Meeting: Held on the 3rd Thursday in March each year.
- Member Library Support Group: Contact email@example.com for information.
- CSLP manual (each library should have received a USB copy in December 2022)
- Instructions for accessing the manual online.
- FLLS Pinterest Boards
- Facebook groups: (you will need to join them to view and post)
- 4H Youth Development Summer Program
- National Library of Medicine
- NY Council for the Humanities
- Summer Meals NY: Hunger Solutions
- NYSL Recommended Partners
- Your local United Way
- Your local Literacy Volunteers: View our Reentry Guide to locate contact information.
- Your local Food Pantries: View our Reentry Guide to locate contact information.
- Your local Recreation Departments
- Community Foundation of Tompkins County Library Grant, Deadline: February 22, 2023
- Cayuga & Seneca Counties Community Arts Grants, Deadline: mid-October
- Cortland County Community Arts Grants, Deadline: mid-October
- Tioga County Community Arts Grants, Deadline: end of October
- Tompkins County Community Arts Grants, Deadline: beginning of October
- For more grant resources, visit our Grants page.
- School Promotion (handout from MVLS & UHLS)
- Public Library Information in Schools (Education Law 816)
- Use the CSLP graphics (be mindful of the rules of use).
- If you use images in promotional material or online, make sure you have permission to use them or that they are licensed for reuse. Here are a few good sources for pictures:
- NASA Images and Videos
- Creative Commons Image Search
- Library of Congress Photos and Prints (some restrictions may apply)
- Take pictures of your displays and events! Pictures are great for grants and as a way to promote the fun things your library is doing. Just make sure you get permission to use the photo from the people in it. More info about photo permission is on our Programming page.
- Facebook Events are a good way to promote your library programs.
- Send flyers to the school and/or make school visits.
- NYSL Summer Reading Resources
- CSLP (Collaborative Summer Library Program)
- Summer Reading at New York Libraries
- STAR Library Network (STARnet)
- ALSC Book Lists
- 3 Apples Book Award
- Scholastic’s FACE Program (for giveaway books)
- Book Depot (for discounted books in bulk)
- Books by the Bushel (discounted books for prizes)
- If you use Baker & Taylor, they offer discounted summer reading prize books.