Resources for selecting and deselecting (weeding) materials for your physical collection. Contact Jenny Shonk or Heidi Eckerson with consultation requests, training requests, or suggestions and changes to this section.
Please contact Deborah at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the following services we offer:
- Processing temporary Polaris bibliographic records (Quick bibs) created by individual member libraries. These temporary records are merged by System staff into fully edited bibliographic records. Instead of sending newly published/acquired materials in to the System for processing where there may be a delay of up to a month, the creation of Quick Bibs allows for these materials to be immediately circulated to patrons.
- Processing requests to add new titles to the FLLS Union List of Serials on Polaris for newly published/acquired periodical subscriptions.
- Providing consultation on cataloging and classification issues including the creation of Quick Bibs. Questions on item holding maintenance are to be submitted to email@example.com.
- Providing assistance on ad hoc cataloging projects.
Helpful Cataloging Resources:
- FLLS Suggested Parameters: This PDF document features suggested parameters for item records including Call Number Prefix and Stat Code. Please note that these parameters are suggested, you may select different parameters to suit your needs. The last page of the document includes a formula for creating a call number.
- WorldCat: You can use this website to help you find a call number for a non-fiction book. Visit the website and type in the title or the ISBN of the book you are looking for. Click on the appropriate title. Check the box: “Only public libraries.” Click “Borrow” next to a specific library or system, Onondaga County Public Library is always a good choice since they also use Polaris. You will be redirected to the library or system’s catalog. Click on Availability if it is a Polaris library. You will be presented with the item information. Otherwise, you will have to do some searching around. You can always contact FLLS for assistance!
FLLS has a variety of titles in Polaris that you may place on hold. Search the collection ZPROGEN (Pro-Staff General Material) or ZPROCHIL (Pro-Staff Children’s Material) for books and other items.
Booklists & More
- Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC) Blog
- YALSA Book & Media Lists
- Fantastic Fiction
- NYT Bestsellers List
- Social Justice Books: Booklists
- Social Justice Books: Guide for Selecting Anti-Bias Children’s Books
- We Need Diverse Books