COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)
Last updated: 4/20/20 at 9:30am
Support groups for member libraries
FLLS member library support group meets on Thursdays. Contact Jenny for more information.
- information about the meetups can be found in the SCRLC newsletters: https://scrlc.org/.
- All member meetup: Tuesdays at 1pm.
- Resource sharing meetup: Fridays at 1pm.
- Local history/special collections/archives meetup: Wednesdays at 2pm.
NYS coronavirus information
NYS Department of Health coronavirus information
NYS coronavirus hotline: 1-888-364-3065
- You can request a test through this hotline. Here’s what to expect (as of 4/10/20):
- Call, talk to the operators and give some general information about yourself, including your town
- This info is passed along to the NYS Department of Health and they evaluate it
- The DOH calls you back
- If necessary, they then can direct you to the nearest testing center.
- This hotline also provides information about the novel coronavirus.
Make sure you are taking time to care for yourself, and don’t be afraid to reach out if you need support.
New York State Emotional Support Line 1-844-863-9314
Disaster Distress Helpline 1-800-985-5990
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
Crisis Textline Text TALK to 741741
NYS Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline 1-800-942-6906
NYS Office of Alcoholism & Substance Abuse HOPEline 1-877-846-7369 or Text HOPENY
NYS Office of Mental Health https://omh.ny.gov/
What FLLS is doing
FLLS has extended the due dates of all items currently checked out to 6/1/2020. Please hold onto your items until your library is open or announces that they are accepting returns. If you are not feeling well, please wait to visit the library until you are completely better.
FLLS is working on expanding our digital resources. So far, we have:
- Removed patron blocks on Overdrive. Now, anyone with a Finger Lakes Library System card has access to Overdrive/Libby, even if they have fines or their card was blocked for any reason.
- Added more titles that are always available without holds or waitlists. They can be found in the Libby app or in the following collections on our Overdrive site: Always Available Audiobooks, Always Available Ebooks: Kids Classics, Always Available Ebooks: Classic Fiction, and Always Available Ebooks: Classic Nonfiction.
- Thank you to Duke Classics for making their simultaneous use titles (titles that are always available with no waiting) available at no charge in response to COVID-19. Thank you, also, to the other publishers who are making their titles available at a lower cost. More information about what publishers are doing through Overdrive is available in this news announcement from Overdrive.
- Added links to AudioBookCloud, TeenBookCloud, RomanceBookCloud, and TumbleMath from TumbleBook. We already subscribe to TumbleBook Library. TumbleBook is making their collections available for free to schools and libraries through August 31, 2020.
- Thank you, TumbleBook!
- Continued to make our other digital collections available. They are all listed on our For the Public page and include RBdigital for digital magazines, Mango for language learning, HeritageQuest to learn about your family history, JobNow for help with job searching and advancing your career, and NoveList Plus and NoveList Plus K-8 for reading recommendations.
A number of FLLS member libraries are offering online library card registration. Visit our online registration page to see which libraries are offering the service.
FLLS has assemble and continues to maintain a page of resources about free virtual services.
FLLS has suspended out-of-system interlibrary loans and the last day of delivery between member libraries was 3/16 until further notice.
All FLLS staff that can work from home are doing so and most activity at FLLS’ physical location has ceased.
FLLS is keeping a close watch on the quickly changing COVID-19 situation and looking to experts such as the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and New York State Department of Health for guidance. We are also in contact with our local health department (Tompkins County) and advise libraries to do the same. We also recommended paying attention to what your local schools are doing. County health departments:
- Cayuga: Facebook, website
- Cortland: Facebook, website
- Seneca: Facebook, website
- Tioga: Facebook, website
- Tompkins: Facebook, website
On April 19th, Governor Cuomo announced NYS on Pause functions will be extended through May 15. In-person workforce restrictions are also restricted until then. The state will re-evaluate after this period. This means that all libraries MUST be closed until at least May 15, 2020 in NY State.
All FLLS member libraries are closed to the public as of 3/17 at 8pm and are closed until further notice. Please check their Facebook pages for more details, announcements, and any virtual services the libraries may be offering.
|Apalachin Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Library/Apalachin-Library-134237063267582/|
|Aurora Free Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/aurorafreelibrary/|
|Berkshire Free Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/BerkshireFreeLibrary/|
|Candor Free Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/Candor-Free-Library-108151752559495/|
|Coburn Free Library (Owego)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/coburnlibrary/|
|Cortland Free Library||3/16 at 5pm until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/CortlandFreeLibrary/ https://www.facebook.com/cortlandfreelibraryyouth/|
|Edith B Ford Memorial Library (Ovid)||3/16 at 5pm until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/OvidLibrary/|
|Fair Haven Public Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/FairHavenPublicLibrary/|
|George P & Susan Platt Cady Library (Nichols)||3/17 at 5:30pm until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/cadylibrary/|
|Groton Public Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/grotonpubliclibraryny/|
|Hazard Library (Poplar Ridge)||3/17 at 5pm until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/HazardLibraryAssociation/|
|Interlaken Public Library||3/18 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/interlakenpubliclibrary/|
|Kellogg Free Library (Cincinnatus)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/kelloggfreelibrary/|
|Lamont Memorial Free Library (McGraw)||3/17 at 8pm until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/Lamont-Memorial-Free-Library-827124240738355/|
|Lansing Community Library||3/14 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/lansinglibrary/|
|Lodi Whittier Library||3/17 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/lodilibrary/|
|Newfield Public Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/newfieldlibrary/|
|Peck Memorial Library (Marathon)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/PeckMemorialLibrary/|
|Phillips Free Library (Homer)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/Phillips-Free-Library-247863785233004/|
|Port Byron Library||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/portbyronlibrary.org/|
|Powers Library (Moravia)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/powerslibrary/|
|Seneca Falls Library||3/17 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/senecafallslibrary/|
|Seymour Public Library District (Auburn)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/SeymourLibrary/|
|Southworth Library Association (Dryden)||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/SouthworthLibrary/|
|Spencer Library||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Library/Spencer-Library-122103357800520/|
|Springport Free Library (Union Springs)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/springportfreelibrary/|
|Stewart B Lang Memorial Library (Cato)||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/langmemoriallibrary/|
|Tappan-Spaulding Memorial Library (Newark Valley)||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/Tappan-Spaulding-Memorial-Library-233972566650000/|
|Tompkins County Public Library||3/14 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/tcplny/|
|Ulysses Philomathic Library (Trumansburg)||Closed until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/ulyssesphilomathiclibrary/|
|Waterloo Library & Historical Society||3/18 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/waterloolhs/|
|Waverly Free Library Association||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/waverlyfreelibrary/|
|Weedsport Free Library||3/16 until further notice||https://www.facebook.com/weedsportlibrary/|