It is important to reach out early and often to your local schools to advertise for programming in general. Summer is the most important time to do so in order to get the word out for your programming. These resources will help you get organized for these visits.
My Local School Said No
It is against the law for schools to not let you give out library information.
- Examples of what to do when a class comes to visit your library.
- Examples of what to do when you visit a school
- Morning Announcement Template
- Classroom Visit Template
- School Assembly Template
Due annually in September. Stuck on a question? Read the FAQs first. Still stuck? Contact Amanda. There is no such thing as a silly question!
Data Collection Templates
You can never have too much data. Use these templates to create your own forms for patrons to fill out. It’s as easy as having them at the desk, hand out at a program, etc.
- Summer Reading Event or Individual Program Survey Template
- For performers, storytimes, crafts, etc. Not for counting minutes.
Summer Reading Statistics A History (coming soon)
- Build a Better World 2017
- On Your Mark, Get Set…READ! 2016
- Every Hero Has a Story 2015
- Fizz Boom Read 2014
- Dig into Reading 2013
Partnerships are important to sustaining your library. Partnering with additional organizations helps your library to become more visible in your community. Here are some examples of organizations you can partner with:
- 4H Youth Development Summer Program
- Center for Early Literacy Learning
- Families Together in New York State
- Finger Lakes Independence Center
- Literacy Volunteers of Broome and Tioga Counties
- Summer Meals
- Unitied Way of Cayuga County
Check these resources for performers you can hire for summer or anytime! Have a suggestion or a warning? Let Amanda know!
- FLLS Performers List 2017 Update
- New York Authors and Illustrators Wiki
- Statewide Performer Database
- Unbound Booking Performer Database
- Young Audiences of Rochester
- ALA’s Best Websites for Kids
- Bedtime Math
- CSLP (Collaborative Summer Library Program)
- Downloadable Handouts from NYS
- Ready to Read at NYS Promotional Materials
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Summer Reading at New York Libraries
- Summer Reading @ NY State Libraries Pinterest
- Teen Video Challenge
Create your own handouts based on these lists. Check our Collection Development Page for more lists and resources.
Useful for prizes and promotional items.
Visit http://www.flls.org/collection-development/#vendors for a complete list of library vendors.
- 4 Imprint Education
- American Printing House for the Blind
- Baudville Trophies
- California Tattoos
- Construction Playthings
- Creative Products
- Educational Innovations
- Good Time Attractions
- Great for award medals and trophies
- Mugs To Go
- Oriental Trading
- Rhode Island Novelty
- S&S Worldwide
- The Library Store
- U.S. Toy