Jobs Available at FLLS
Currently there are no job openings at the Finger Lakes Library System.
FLLS Internship Opportunities
The Finger Lakes Library System offers opportunities for a college or graduate student seeking internship positions throughout the year. The intern will have the chance to gain a wide range of experiences in a busy public library system.
The intern will work closely with each librarian at the system and assist with tasks including but not limited to: creating marketing materials for social media and the website, join system staff in visits to member libraries, shadow system employees on day-to-day tasks and much more!
- An interest in library system services.
- Computer skills are essential including Microsoft Office, social media platforms, website skills and basic problem solving and tech support.
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks on a number of concurrent projects.
- Candidates must have strong communication skills, be well organized, detail oriented, and creative.
Hours & Details:
- Dates and times of the internship will be determined with the individual. The Finger Lakes Library System is open from 8:00am-4:00pm, however, many staff members work outside these hours.
- This is an unpaid internship but a great opportunity to receive school credit and build your resume.
All applicants must submit a letter via email outlining their goals, school requirements and timeline for interning to email@example.com. Resume and letters from academic or professional references may be required as well.
Deadline to Apply:
Please email your application materials to:
Finger Lakes Library System
1300 Dryden Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Library Director – Cortland Free Library
The Cortland Free Library Board of Trustees seeks a creative, enthusiastic and innovative Library Director to lead the library forward and continue to meet the needs of the community. The Library Director plans, coordinates and provides day-to-day management of the library, including supervision of all library employees. Both within the library and in the community at large, the Director communicates and works toward achieving the library’s goals as stated in its mission statement and long range plan. The Director reports to and works cooperatively with a 15-member elected Board.
We are seeking a dynamic leader who will play an active role in and advocate for library services for our diverse community. The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational, communication, problem- solving, advocacy, technological and fiscal management skills. A commitment to ensuring high quality services and best practices for our library is essential.
The Library, located in downtown Cortland, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Extensive renovations to the 20,220 square-foot building were completed in 2017. Cortland, a small city of approximately 20,000 people, is the southeastern gateway to the Finger Lakes Region. Syracuse and Ithaca are each about a 30-minute drive.
Cortland Free Library is an association library and member of the Finger Lakes Library System (FLLS). It is funded by a library tax as well as an endowment and has a 2019 budget of $531,068. Cortland Free Library serves over 30,000 residents within its chartered area and circulates over 124,000 items annually. We have a dedicated staff of 4 full-time and 8 part-time employees, an active Friends group and support from volunteers.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability, initiative and experience to establish effective working relationships with staff, the public, volunteers, Friends of the Library, peers, FLLS and the Board.
- Promote the library as an integral and vital component of the community by interacting with the community, local organizations and elected officials.
- Represent, with support from the Board of Trustees, the library before governmental agencies and community groups in seeking financial resources for the library.
- Plan and implement innovative library programs and services.
- Provide the Library Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision making.
- Seek, write, and administer grants to provide additional sources of funding.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current trends, technology and best practices by attending and participating in professional organizations, meetings, workshops and continuing education courses.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science or equivalent program
- Eligible for or possess a New York State Public Librarian certification
- A minimum of two years library experience with increasing responsibility, including some supervisory and administrative duties.
- A strong commitment to public service and community engagement
- Ability to work effectively with the Board of Trustees, personnel and the community
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, project management skills
- Basic knowledge of library finances and budgets
- A valid driver’s license
Salary and Benefits: Salary is $50,000 or higher based on qualifications, experience and proven results. A competitive benefits package, including participation in the New York State Retirement System, is provided.
To apply: Send letter of application, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is April 30, 2019. Questions can be sent to CFLBoardPres@gmail.com