Jobs Available at FLLS
Currently, there are no job openings at FLLS
Job Description: Plan and present programs for children, from infants and preschoolers to school age and teens. Provide excellent customer service at the youth services desk, assist the children’s librarian with projects related to the library’s strategic plan and perform other tasks as required.
Must have a friendly and approachable style, and the ability to work with all age groups. Be able to create fun, dynamic programs and experiences that engage children and their families. Experience with children’s literature is required. Proficiency with a range of technologies is essential.
This is a part-time position, approximately 25 hours per week, including day, evening and occasional Saturday hours.
Qualifications: Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college with an associate’s degree or higher level in Nursery Education, Child Care, Early Childhood Development, or closely related field AND one year of full-time paid experience (or part-time equivalent) working with youth.
Note: This is a provisional appointment and is subject to Civil Service requirements. Seymour Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all federal, state and local laws in its hiring and employment practices.
Please email resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide children’s programs and technology assistance to library patrons. Associates degree and one year library experience required. Provide fun interactive programs for children, including story times, and technology based programs. Send resume and cover letter to P.O. Box 7, Homer, NY 13077. Resumes accepted until position filled
Job Description – Part-time Technology/Children’s Para-Librarian
Associates degree and at least 1 year library experience including experience working with children or youth.
20 per week, salaried
Salary Range and Appointment:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This will be a Six-month probationary appointment, followed by annual appointment by the Board of Trustees.
- Coordinates children’s service operations with other library services and functions, develops programs and services to meet specific needs of children, including preparing and presenting a minimum of three children’s programs a week in the library. Providing programs outside of the library, may also be required.
- Develops new programs on an ongoing basis with the input of the Director. Programs will include but not be limited to story times, MakerSpace activities, minecraft, legos, technology programs etc.
- Staffs children’s area, providing reference, reader’s advisory, and technology assistance as needed.
- Promotes library resources with the schools.
- Promotes library use especially programs, materials, and services of the children’s department, including
- Prepares publicity fliers and newspaper announcements for children’s story hour and summer reading activities. Distributes fliers throughout the community including schools.
- Provides regular school programs to promote the library and summer reading in the local schools. Provides outreach activities and school visits.
- Provides an active and engaging presence for children and families on library website and Facebook page, including writing book reviews for the children’s page.
- Plan, coordinates, and executes summer reading program for pre-school through 2nd graders in coordination with Director and Director’s assistant.
- Meets with members of the library and others in order to coordinate activities and exchange information.
- Monitors the conditions of the children’s service area and the security of the children’s collection and area.
- Keeps within budget guidelines for children’s materials and supplies purchased.
- Will assist with teen and adult programs as needed.
- Assist with grant writing and other paperwork.
- Other duties assigned by the director, as library services evolve and grow.
- Associates Degree and library work experience required. Bachelors desirable.
- Interest in pursuing a career in Library Science preferred.
- Experience working with children
- Professional knowledge in the use of library electronic resources including the Web, electronic databases and Polaris
- Strong technological skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Proficiency in Windows, Word, Power Point and Publisher preferred
- Evening and weekend availability is essential
- Grant writing skills preferred
Some evenings and weekends are required. There will be a set schedule of 4-6 hours per day, M-F.
Tompkins County Public Library is seeking a Head of Youth Services (Librarian III) who brings a vision for youth services, demonstrates leadership, creativity and innovation; is customer-focused, forward-thinking, and collaborative. He/she will be committed to excellence in customer services; understand the Library’s central role in the community; and view readers’ advisory, programming and collection development as the heart of the library service. He/she will understand the importance of Youth Services in the development of young people; and the vital role it plays in library services. The Head of Youth Services should be knowledgeable about current youth and family issues; will understand technology trends; be committed to literacy for all ages; and will blend traditional and nontraditional library services for youth and their families. This position is a member of the Library’s leadership team. The position requires clear thinking and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The position is a Civil Service position. Interested applicants must file an application with Tompkins County Personnel Office and must be reachable on the list generated from the online test. Only online applications will be accepted within the advertised timelines. The final date to file applications is August 5, 2015. The examination date is September 1, 2015.
Please apply at https://www.tompkinscivilservice.org/civilservice/apply/2131
Head of Youth Services (Librarian III)
The Department Head position for Youth Services directs, manages and coordinates public services, collections, outreach, and programming for youth services, which includes children of all ages and young adults at the Tompkins County Public Library in Ithaca, NY.
The successful candidate must have a strong commitment to public service and youth literacy, mastery of related literature, must be creative and innovative, and possess the ability to inspire others. Excellent interpersonal skills/communication abilities are essential as is proven expertise with technology, proficiency with budget management, and competency in creating and using statistical reporting are required. The successful candidate will have a vision for the future, and the ability to effectively establish positive and successful working relationships with all staff, library patrons of all ages, volunteers, patrons, trustees, schools, and community leaders.. The Department Head participates as an active member of the Library’s Leadership Team to identify, recommend and implement needed services, policy and operations and to create a positive atmosphere of teamwork.
Work is performed with considerable independent judgment and initiative. The position reports to the Library Director.
A complete job description is available at https://www.tompkinscivilservice.org/civilservice/job/449