Jobs Available at FLLS
The Finger Lakes Library System is looking for a sub driver. This is an on call position.
General description of duties:
Responsible for delivering library materials to member libraries and agencies within the Finger Lakes Library System service area.
Reports to: Fleet Manager
- Deliver canvas bags and boxes of books, videos, and other materials to and from member libraries and agencies according to a set schedule
- Follow safety and security measures at all stops on route, such as using proper security codes and routines and locking doors upon departure
- Responsible use of credit cards for gas and automotive supplies
- Report needed repairs and maintenance concerns
Knowledge and Experience:
- Able to work independently
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic
- Good organizational skills, including ability to prioritize
- Experience with delivery services
- Understanding of basic vehicle maintenance and repair
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- Valid NYS Drivers License
- Maintain clean driving record
- Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 50 lbs.
Hours: On Call, Hours worked vary. Between the hours of 08:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Supervisor will call when needed
16.40 per hour
If you are interested in this position, please send resumes to Tom Smith at email@example.com
or mail your resume to FLLS 1300 Dryden Rd., Ithaca, NY 14850 attn: Tom Smith
Application Deadline November 30th, 2019.
FLLS Internship Opportunities
The Finger Lakes Library System offers opportunities for a college or graduate student seeking internship positions throughout the year. The intern will have the chance to gain a wide range of experiences in a busy public library system.
The intern will work closely with each librarian at the system and assist with tasks including but not limited to: creating marketing materials for social media and the website, join system staff in visits to member libraries, shadow system employees on day-to-day tasks and much more!
- An interest in library system services.
- Computer skills are essential including Microsoft Office, social media platforms, website skills and basic problem solving and tech support.
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks on a number of concurrent projects.
- Candidates must have strong communication skills, be well organized, detail oriented, and creative.
Hours & Details:
- Dates and times of the internship will be determined with the individual. The Finger Lakes Library System is open from 8:00am-4:00pm, however, many staff members work outside these hours.
- This is an unpaid internship but a great opportunity to receive school credit and build your resume.
All applicants must submit a letter via email outlining their goals, school requirements and timeline for interning to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and letters from academic or professional references may be required as well.
Deadline to Apply:
Please email your application materials to:
Finger Lakes Library System
1300 Dryden Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Cortland Free Library is Seeking Full Time Library Director
The Cortland Free Library Board of Trustees seeks a creative, enthusiastic and innovative Library Director to lead the library forward and continue to meet the needs of the community. The Library Director plans, coordinates and provides day-to-day management of the library, including supervision of all library employees. Both within the library and in the community at large, the Director communicates and works toward achieving the library’s goals as stated in its mission statement and long range plan. The Director reports to and works cooperatively with a 15-member elected Board.
We are seeking a dynamic leader who will play an active role in and advocate for library services for our diverse community. The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational, communication, problem- solving, advocacy, technological and fiscal management skills. A commitment to ensuring high quality services and best practices for our library is essential.
The Library, located in downtown Cortland, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Extensive renovations to the 20,220 square-foot building were completed in 2017. Through a recently awarded NYS Construction Grant, new projects will be underway in 2020-2021. Cortland, a small city of approximately 20,000 people, is the southeastern gateway to the Finger Lakes Region. Syracuse and Ithaca are each about a 30-minute drive.
Cortland Free Library is an association library and member of the Finger Lakes Library System (FLLS). It is funded by a library tax as well as an endowment and has a 2019 budget of $531,068. Cortland Free Library serves over 30,000 residents within its chartered area and circulates over 124,000 items annually. The Director is supported by an Assistant to the Director and a Business Manager as well as 3 other full-time and 7 part-time dedicated staff, an active Friends group and other volunteers.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability, initiative and experience to establish effective working relationships with staff, the public, volunteers, Friends of the Library, peers, FLLS and the Board.
- Promote the library as an integral and vital component of the community by interacting with the community, local organizations and elected officials.
- Represent, with support from the Board of Trustees, the library before governmental agencies and community groups in seeking financial resources for the library.
- Plan and implement innovative library programs and services.
- Provide the Library Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision making.
- Seek, write, and administer grants to provide additional sources of funding.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current trends, technology and best practices by attending and participating in professional organizations, meetings, workshops and continuing education courses.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science or equivalent program
- Eligible for or possess a New York State Public Librarian certification
- A minimum of two years library experience with increasing responsibility, including some supervisory and administrative duties.
- A strong commitment to public service and community engagement
- Ability to work effectively with the Board of Trustees, personnel and the community
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, project management skills
- Basic knowledge of library finances and budgets
- A valid driver’s license
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is $50,000 – $55,000 based on qualifications, experience and proven results. A competitive benefits package, including participation in the New York State Retirement System, is provided.
To apply: Send letter of application, resume and three references to: email@example.com
Application deadline is October 25, 2019.
Questions can be sent to CFLBoardPres@gmail.com
Watkins Glen Public Library Seeks a Library Director I
This is a civil service job. For more information on this, please go to: https://www.schuylercounty.us/119/Civil-Service
LAST DATE TO APPLY: Applications accepted until position is filled.
SALARY: $43,264 (Potential for higher commensurate with experience)
HOW TO APPLY: Submit Civil Service application to Schuyler County Civil Service, 105 Ninth St.,
Unit 21, Watkins Glen, NY 14891.
VACANCY: At the present time, one full time position is available. The person hired will need to take
a Civil Service Training and Experience exam at a later date and be reachable on the list to gain
permanency in the position.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: None
JOB DESCRIPTION: An incumbent of this position has overall charge of the library and is also a major
provider of professional library services. This may be the only professional position in the library.
Supervision is exercised over other library personnel. Works under general supervision of the Library
Board of Trustees. Does related work as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) or a
Master’s of Science in Information Science (MSIS) from a program that is accredited by the American
Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following accepted
education practices. Two years of satisfactory professional library experience in a library of recognized
standing after having earned an MLS or MSIS Degree is preferred.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATION: Eligibility for a New York
State public librarian’s professional certificate at time of application for appointment; possession of
certificate at time of appointment.
Applications are available at www.schuylercounty.us or the
Schuyler County Civil Service Office
105 Ninth St., Unit 21, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
Date Issued: August 22, 2019