Jobs Available at FLLS
Currently there are no job openings at the Finger Lakes Library System.
FLLS Internship Opportunities
The Finger Lakes Library System offers opportunities for a college or graduate student seeking internship positions throughout the year. The intern will have the chance to gain a wide range of experiences in a busy public library system.
The intern will work closely with each librarian at the system and assist with tasks including but not limited to: creating marketing materials for social media and the website, join system staff in visits to member libraries, shadow system employees on day-to-day tasks and much more!
- An interest in library system services.
- Computer skills are essential including Microsoft Office, social media platforms, website skills and basic problem solving and tech support.
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks on a number of concurrent projects.
- Candidates must have strong communication skills, be well organized, detail oriented, and creative.
Hours & Details:
- Dates and times of the internship will be determined with the individual. The Finger Lakes Library System is open from 8:00am-4:00pm, however, many staff members work outside these hours.
- This is an unpaid internship but a great opportunity to receive school credit and build your resume.
All applicants must submit a letter via email outlining their goals, school requirements and timeline for interning to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and letters from academic or professional references may be required as well.
Deadline to Apply:
Please email your application materials to:
Finger Lakes Library System
1300 Dryden Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Cortland Free Library Seeks a Full-Time Library Director
Cortland Free Library, located in downtown Cortland, NY, and a member of the Finger Lakes Library System, is in search of its 7th Director in its 93-year history. The library is an Association Library with a chartered population of 30,114. It is funded by a library tax collected by the Cortland School District as well as an endowment. The Director serves at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees.
Extensive renovations to the historic 20,220 square-foot building were completed in 2017. CFL has 9931 registered borrowers and had 92,560 library visits in 2017. There are 26 public internet computers available. A more detailed overview of CFL can be found on the library’s website: www.cortlandfreelibrary.org.
Cortland, a small city of approximately 20,000 people, is the southeastern gateway to the Finger Lakes Region. The area is home to SUNY Cortland as well as numerous restaurants, several arts and theatre centers, lovely parks, a sports complex and friendly people. Syracuse and Ithaca are each about a 30-minute drive.
The successful candidate is responsible, in accordance with the Board’s policies, for all day-to-day library operations and functions. The Director oversees five full-time and seven part-time staff members and a 2018 budget of $522,000. The work is carried out in accordance with the policies established by the CFL Board of Trustees and is under the general supervision of that Board.
- Developing innovative library programs
- Developing and maintaining the library’s collection, including print and digital media, appropriate to the community’s needs.
- Participating actively and visibly in the community
- Hiring, training, supervising and evaluating staff
- Adhering to Library By-laws and policies as well as local, state and federal mandates
- Preparing, presenting and overseeing the budget and all financial aspects of the library including staff payroll, library purchases and working cooperatively with the library bookkeeper
- Overseeing maintenance of the library building and grounds in cooperation with the Board’s building committee
- Taking responsibility for entire grant process, including deadlines
- Engaging in professional development
- Performing other related work duties
Desired education and experience:
- Must have a Master’s Degree in Library Science of equivalent program
- Must be eligible for or possess a New York State Librarian certification
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a public library environment
- At least two years supervisory experience
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Successful candidate will:
- Be an energetic and creative leader committed to the goals of the library’s Mission Statement
- Possess strong organizational skills
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Work cooperatively with the Board of Trustees, library staff and the community
- Enjoy working with the public
- Live within a reasonable commute to the library
- Possess strong financial and technology skills
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits are available
To apply: Send letter of application, resume and three references to: email@example.com
Application deadline is June 30, 2018.
Questions can be sent to CFLBoardPres@gmail.com
Seneca Falls Public Library is Seeking a Full Time Director.
The Library Director has overall responsibility for carrying out the goals and objectives of the Seneca Falls Library and for supervising all staff.
The library is an Association Library with a service area of nearly 10,000 residents and a history of providing varied services and programming to the community. It is a full-time position with pay commensurate with experience.
Job Duties Include:
- Collections development, including selecting and ordering materials for the library. The librarian is responsible for cataloging new materials, overseeing collection maintenance, weeding the collection, and serving as the liaison to the Finger Lakes Library System regarding collections and system-wide initiatives.
- Providing sound fiscal management of the library; responsible for all financial tasks; including, but not limited to: personnel management, including payroll, and maintaining all library bank accounts and records. Preparing and making available any reports requested by the Treasurer, the Board of Trustees or appropriate vendors and/or institutions. Develops an annual operating and capital budget for consideration by the Board of Trustees, and manages expenses in relation to established goals;
- Attending meetings of the Board and its Committees and informs the Board of significant fiscal, program, personnel and other management matters. The Library Director will also attend and represent the Seneca Falls Library at the following meetings: Friends meetings, Seneca County Library Consortium meetings, FALCON meetings, appropriate FLLS meetings, and any other meetings assigned by the Board of Trustees. Serving as a liaison to community constituencies. Joins a local service group (Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce, etc.);
- Preparing reports and other information pertinent to decision making requirements of the Board regarding policy and other related activities; including the NYS Library report;
- Promoting effective public and community relations with donors, library users, media representatives, and the community;
- Recruiting, hiring, supervising and evaluating the performance of staff, provides appropriate disciplinary action, when necessary, and oversees these activities for all other staff;
- Creating a positive work environment for all staff and volunteers and provides a welcoming atmosphere for library patrons.
- Attends meetings of the Board and its Committees and informs the Board of significant fiscal, program, personnel and other management matters. The Library Director also will attend and represent the library at Friends meetings, Seneca County Library Consortium meetings, FALCON meetings, appropriate FLLS meetings and any other meetings assigned by the Board of Trustees.
- Prepares reports and information pertinent to decision making needs of the Board and the New York State Annual Library Report.
- Managing the library’s applications for grants, grant management and reporting.
Graduation from an ALA Accredited school or program with a graduate degree in library or information studies AND possession of a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate. Three to five years of satisfactory professional library experience in a library of recognized standing, two years of which in an administrative capacity is preferred.
Resumes should be submitted to Director Search, Seneca Falls Library, 47 Cayuga St., Seneca Falls, NY 13148.