Jobs Available at FLLS
There are currently no job openings at FLLS.
Position: Circulation Desk Assistant – Library Aide
Reports to Library Director takes direction from Circulation Desk Manager
The Cortland Free Library is seeking a part-time Circulation Desk Assistant. Following the successful completion of orientation and training the person filling this position will be scheduled to work primarily but not limited to nights 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and weekends 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. Please submit a cover letter with your available hours, a copy of your resume and at least 3 references to
Jacalyn C. Spoon
Cortland Free Library
32 Church St.
Cortland, NY 13045
This is an entry level position. To receive full consideration please submit applications by February 1, 2017.
- Familiarity with and ability to carry out all routine activities related to the general operation of the Library
- Help patrons access information using the resources of the library, online and in the Online Public Access Catalog
- Start-up computers when the library opens, and shut them down when it closes
- Print “Request Manager” each morning and prepare items for loan: locate items and route as appropriate
- Prepare newspapers for display
- Register new patrons and issue library cards in accordance with procedures
- Check books in and out of the library
- Answer phone politely and provide help or take messages as appropriate
- Keep statistics as required
- Maintain Library safety and security; enforce user compliance with the library’s policies, notify library management and police in cases of serious discipline, security, and safety problems, and completes appropriate reports
- Help patrons locate and retrieve library materials within the library, beyond the library facility, and electronically
- Assist patrons in placing items on request and with Interlibrary Loans.
- Assist patrons in the use of technology including but not limited to computers and computer software, Internet access, the Public Access Catalog, and databases, such as Heritage Quest, Consumer Health Complete, Zinio, and others
- Assist patrons in the use of photocopy equipment, fill paper trays and resolve problems
- Answer reference questions or direct the person to the librarian
- Take payments for overdue items, replacement costs, and copies, and make accurate change as necessary
Shelve library materials as needed in Adult Services and Youth Services. Shelf read to ensure proper order of items as necessary. Keep reading areas and lobbies neat and return all materials to appropriate place
- Straighten library displays and furniture as needed to maintain organized and attractive environment
- Assist with marketing library events and programs
- Assist Library Director with special projects as necessary
- Perform other tasks as assigned
Desired Qualifications: High School Diploma, understanding of filing systems, excellent computer skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills, ability to make change accurately. Present a professional and friendly image of the library. Display tact and courtesy when interacting with co-workers and public.