A patron may want to suspend a hold request if they are going out of town and reactivate the hold when they return while still maintaining their position in the queue. Or a patron may want to place hold requests on items in a series and see them in order while maintaining their position in the queue. For example, if a patron wants to see the complete first season of The Big Bang Theory on DVD and they are all checked out, they can place hold requests on seasons 1-5. After they place the requests, they can suspend the holds for 2-5 and reactivate each volume as they check out the next in the series. This maintains their natural position in the holds queue. This feature in available in both the Polaris client and the PAC.
Suspending Holds via the Polaris client:
- Search for the patron in Patron Status (F6).
- Choose the Requests option on the left-side of the screen to view requests. Double-click on the title you wish to suspend.
- From the Hold Request screen, change the Activation date in the upper right-hand corner to some date in the future. This will automatically suspend the request.
- The request will be reactivated on the date that you or the patron indicated.
Suspending Holds via the PAC:
- Log into your PAC account and go to My Account ⇒ Hold Requests.
- Place a checkmark to the left of the item you want to suspend. If there is no checkmark box available, the item cannot be suspended.
- Click on Suspend/Reactivate Selected.
- Type in the date you wish to reactivate the hold request, and click Submit. In both PAC and in the staff client, once the hold request is reactivated, the patron appears back in the queue where they were before the hold request was suspended.