Located in Ithaca, New York, and founded by Ezra Cornell in 1864, Tompkins County Public Library (TCPL) is an award-winning library with a storied history. It serves the nearly 102,000 residents of Tompkins County, as well as library users in Cayuga, Cortland, Seneca, and Tioga counties through its role as the Central Library for the Finger Lakes Library System. Fine-free since 2019, TCPL is devoted to inclusion, equity, access, and belonging. Its central vision is to create a library “where everyone can belong and find joy in learning, discovery, and personal growth.”
Residents and visitors alike rank Tompkins County as one of the most livable areas in the United States. Located in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of upstate New York at the southern tip of majestic Cayuga Lake, the county is in an area of dramatic gorges and waterfalls. TCPL sits in the heart of downtown Ithaca, home to Cornell University, Ithaca College, and an eclectic and vibrant local community.
This is a New York State Civil Service position that requires these minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an ALA-accredited school or program with a graduate degree in library or information studies; AND,
- Possession of, or eligibility for, a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate; AND,
- Eight years of satisfactory professional library experience in a library of recognized standing, two years of which must have been in an administrative capacity.
Highly-qualified candidates will also have:
- Leadership and management experience in a public library system
- Experience providing library service to diverse communities including rural populations
- Continuing education in the field of library service
The board will offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualiﬁcations and experience of the selected candidate. The salary range is $95,000 – $125,000 plus a beneﬁts package with health insurance, retirement contributions, and paid leave.
How to Apply
Visit https://www2.tompkinscountyny.gov/personnel to apply:
- On the left side of the screen, choose “Vacancy List.”
- Find the TCPL Library Director opportunity to review the full job description.
- Select “Apply.”
- Create your profile to continue. Complete the application and upload a cover letter and curriculum vitae or résumé and any other supporting documentation you would like us to consider.
Call 607-274-5526 for assistance with any questions or challenges. The Tompkins County Public Library is committed to equity and inclusion. We encourage others with similar values to apply.
Selection Process and Timeline
A selection committee comprised of TCPL trustees, staff, and other stakeholders will be screening applications and conducting interviews. We expect initial interviews to be conducted remotely and final interviews to be conducted in person. Each finalist should plan on a full day of interview activity and interaction. We would like to fill the position no later than October 1, 2022.
Learn more by visiting the TCPL website at www.tcpl.org. For questions about TCPL, the library system, the county, the position, and how to apply, email Mary McKeon at email@example.com or call 607-272-4557 x221.