- Adult Programming Resources
- ALA Sample Programming Ideas
- Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
- Programming Librarian
Do you have any tweens or teens drawing manga characters or requesting anime DVDs? Your library could benefit from an Anime Club. Very easy to run, Anime Clubs can include activities such as:
- Screening an anime movie or episodes from an anime cartoon series on YouTube
- Crafts (origami, paper lanterns, koi fish, anime shrinky dinks, etc)
- Drawing sessions
- Candy sushi
- Manga swap (much like a book swap)
- Cosplay (dress as favorite characters and take photos)
- Picking up items with chopsticks contest.
- Based on the program’s success, inviting speakers:
- Sushi chefs
- Japanese language speaker to teach some words.
- Local manga artist to teach the basics of drawing manga.
- Local martial artists to demonstrate skills.
- Anime Clubs
- Abby the Librarian dissects Anime Clubs.
- Keeping your Collection Current
- School Library Journal Article on Manga Collections.
- Keep current with your manga.
- Kid Safe Anime
- Anime can be a bit risque. Check what is deemed “safe” for all ages.
- Trials and Tribulations
Book Group Kits
Do you have a book discussion group that meets in your library? Do you want to start a group?
The Finger Lakes Library System (FLLS) has Book Group Kits available for any patrons in the 33 libraries in our system. Each kit contains multiple copies of a title in regular print, and when available, in large print and audio format. It also contains a Book Discussion Guide that includes book summaries and reviews, author bios and possible questions to guide the discussion.
LIST OF TITLES we currently have in kits.
To request a Book Group Kit, follow these steps:
- Go to www.flls.org and click on ‘Search the catalog’.
- Choose your home library and click on ‘Start PowerPAC’.
- At the next screen choose ‘Search’ from the top tabs.
- Under ‘Keyword’, search for: Book Group Kit.
- This will bring up those kits that are available; request a kit as you would any item.
- Dia Family Book Club
- Teaching Books
- Tween Book Club Kits
- FLLS has many Tween Book Club Kits. All kits include 10 copies of the book, a discussion guide and activities. Some include addtional mulitimedia. Check one out today!
- C.R.A.F.T. (Creating Really Awesome Free Things)
- Crafts by Amanda
- Dollar Store Crafts
- Hungry Happenings
- Food Crafts
- Kids Crafts
- Makes and Takes
- No Time for Flash Cards
- Babies, Toddlers and Pre-K
- Origami Resource Center
- Polish the Stars
- The Crafty Crow
- The Crafts Dept.
- Little Birdie Secrets
- Mich L. in L.A.
- Polish the Stars
- Zakka Life
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Lego Club Ideas
- Speed Racer Science
- Star Wars Day
- Stuffed Animal Sleepovers
- Board Games
- Create your own Games
- The History of Videogames
- Museum of Play
- Senior Living
See our Gaming Collection Development page for more gaming resources.
- 101 Ideas for Serving the Elderly
- Wii Senior Bowling Template
Offices for the Aging
New York State Offices for the Aging provide a variety of resources, programs and services to enable seniors to maintain independents and self-directed lifestyles. Click below for more information about your local county office:
Bereavement and Loss Resources - Reading lists for resources on bereavement, grief and loss; includes recommended materials for all age ranges. Compiled by Hospicare.
AARP’s Internet Resources - An easy to search database for more than 900 of the best sites for people age 50+.
Medline Plus - The site doctors recommend! This free, unbiased health information website is provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
NYS Senior Citizens’ Resource Guide - Official information and services from the New York State Office for the Aging.
Search Prescription Drug Prices in NYS - Find the pharmacy offering the cheapest drug prices in your area. Provided by the New York State Department of Health.
Savvy Senior - A national information service devoted to older Americans and their caregivers.
USA.gov: Senior Citizens’ Resources - Official information and services from the U.S. government.