Job Transition Resources

Jobseeker Resource Guide

Job Transition Resources:

New York Unemployment Insurance Program:

Unemployment insurance is temporary income for eligible workers who become unemployed through no fault of their own and who are ready, willing, and able to work:
General Information
File a Claim Online
Instructions to File a Claim by Phone

Local Human Services Agency Directories:

Dial 2-1-1 to connect with community resources near you — child care, senior services, counseling, food, shelter, job services, and much more. This service is free, confidential and available 24/7. You can also search the directory online:
211FingerLakes (for Cayuga and Seneca Counties)
211Tompkins (for Tompkins County)
211Cortland (for Cortland County)
211Tioga (for Tioga County)

State and Federal Assistance Programs and Resources:

New York State Programs:

Quickly check your eligibility for food stamps, temporary assistance, WIC, and Home Energy assistance online right now at

You can also contact your local Department of Social Services office:
Cayuga County DSS: County Office Building, 160 Genesee Street, Auburn, New York 13021-3433 Phone: 315-253-1451
Cortland County DSS: 60 Central Avenue, Cortland, New York 13045-5590 Phone: 607-753-5248
Seneca County DSS: 1 Di Pronio Drive, PO Box 690, Waterloo, New York 13165-0690 Phone: 315-539-1800
Tioga County DSS: PO Box 240, 1062 State Road, Owego, New York 13827 Phone: 607-687-8300
Tompkins County
DSS: 320 West State Street, Ithaca, New York 14850 Phone: 607-274-5345

Federal Programs:

Help for Difficult Financial Times – A comprehensive guide of federal assistance resources.

Dislocated Worker Services – Federal programs available from the U.S. Dept of Labor.
Trade Adjustment Assistance
Rapid Response (large-scale layoffs)
WIA Dislocated Worker Program

Health Insurance Options:

Unemployment: Health Insurance Options – Provided by the New York State Insurance Department, includes information about COBRA coverage and the Healthy NY Program.

Foundation for Health Coverage Education: Tools and Resources– Online resources and a toll-free helpline to find low-cost or free health insurance. Uninsured Helpline: 1-800-234-1317

Retirement And Health Care Coverage…Questions and Answers For Dislocated Worker – Information from the Department of Labor. – Information about finding assistance programs for prescription drugs and healthcare. – Free medications for people who cannot afford to buy their medicine.

Legal Help: – This site provides access to free legal information and referrals to free legal help. Topics include housing and foreclosure, public benefits and assistance, debt collection and bankruptcy, family issues, and more.

Legal Information Institute Directory, Cornell University – Search this directory to find lawyers in your area, as well as services and organizations that provide free or low-cost legal services.

Fact Sheet: Your Employer’s Bankruptcy – How Will It Affect Your Employee Benefits? – Brochure from the Department of Labor.