2016-2019 Family Literacy Grant
The Finger Lakes Library System is offering mini-grants to member libraries as part of the 2016-2019 New York State Family Literacy Library Services Program: Ready to Read at New York Libraries through Public Library Systems. For the 2018-2019 grant year, $7,000 is available for mini-grants and each member library may apply for up to $400. The mini-grants may be used to purchase supplies and materials to support the library’s early literacy work. Applications are being accepted now through December 14, 2018.
- applicants must be libraries that are members of the Finger Lakes Library System,
- materials to be purchased must support the early literacy work of the library,
- purchased materials must be labeled “Purchased with funds from the New York State Library’s Family Literacy Library Services Program” (pre-printed labels will be available from FLLS),
- to be reimbursed for grant purchases, recipients must fill out a Reimbursement Request.
For questions, please contact Nora Burrows at email@example.com or 607-273-4074 x 227.
To learn more about the New York State Family Literacy Library Services Program, visit http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/familylit/.
Ready to Read at New York Libraries
As part of the 2016-2019 Family Literacy Grant, the Finger Lakes Library System is participating in the New York State Education Department’s Ready to Read at New York Libraries initiative.
This page is intended for member libraries in the Finger Lakes Library System to download resources after training and download related documents. Any questions, please email the Training Cohort.
- Early Literacy Community Asset Analysis Handouts
- Strategies for Successful Partnerships and Outreach to Families with Young Children Handouts
- Strengthening Young Families through Early Literacy Practices (ECRR2)
- Early Learning Spaces Sample PPT
- Everyone Serves Families with Young Children
- Children’s Defense Fund
- Diversity Data Kids
- Kids Count Data Center
- National Center for Education Statistics
- New York State School Report Card
- United Nations World Data
- United States Census Bureau
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Government’s Open Data
(http://foundationcenter.org): “Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grant makers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector.”
- Begin by searching the Free Directory at http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/foundfinder. Note that deeper access to the site’s resources requires subscription (some libraries, such as the New York State Library, are subscribers: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/grantres.htm).
- You may also visit the Foundation Center’s Grant Space for Children and Youth at http://grantspace.org/Subjects/children-and-youth.
Library Grants Blog (http://librarygrants.blogspot.com)
New York State Library – State Aid for Library Construction (http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/construc): “Funds from an appropriation of $19 million in capital funds for public library construction in the 2015 State Budget can provide up to 75 percent of approved costs of acquisition, construction, renovation, or rehabilitation of public libraries or public library system headquarters.” Talk to your library system for more information.
- American Library Association – Grants (http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/awards)
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation – Grants (http://www.aecf.org/about/grant-making)
- Association for Library Service to Children – Grants (http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants)
- Grants.gov (http://www.grants.gov)
- Institute of Museum and Library Services – Grants (https://www.imls.gov/grants)
- Scholastic – Grants (http://www.scholastic.com/librarians/programs/grants.htm)
- K. Kellogg Foundation – Educated Kids (http://www.wkkf.org/what-we-do/educated-kids)
Look within your community.
- Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/our_company/sponsorship/Sponsorship_main.html)
- Costco Wholesale (http://www.costco.com/charitable-giving.html)
- First Niagara (https://www.firstniagara.com/About_Us/Community_Commitment/How_We_Give/How_We_Give.aspx)
- Lowes (http://responsibility.lowes.com/apply-for-a-grant)
- Panera Bread (https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/en_us/community/community-giving.html)
- Target (https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/grants
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Center for Early Literacy Learning
- Child Care and Early Education Research Connections
- Early Childhood
- Saroj Ghoting: Early Childhood Literacy Consultant
- Get Ready to Read: Free Early Learning Resources
- National Institute for Early Education Research
- Text 4 Baby
Looking for a kit, idea or more? Visit our Storytime Resources Page.
- FLLS Storytime Resources
- 3 Ways to Promote Early Literacy Brain Development in Your Library
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy
- Day by Day Calendar
- Day by Day Calendar (in Spanish)
- Early Childhood Librarian
- Mother Goose Club
- Scholastic FACE Program