Last updated: 3/18/20 at 2:30pm
FLLS (Finger Lakes Library System) is keeping a close watch on the quickly changing COVID-19 situation and looking to experts such as the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and New York State Department of Health for guidance. We are also in contact with our local health department (Tompkins County) and advise libraries to do the same. We also recommended paying attention to what your local schools are doing.
County health departments:
- Cayuga: Facebook, website
- Cortland: Facebook, website
- Seneca: Facebook, website
- Tioga: Facebook, website
- Tompkins: Facebook, website
What FLLS is doing
FLLS has extended the due dates of all items currently checked out to 5/1/2020. If you are not feeling well, please wait to visit the library until you are completely better.
FLLS has suspended out-of-system interlibrary loans and the last day of delivery between member libraries is 3/16 until further notice.
FLLS is working on expanding our digital resources. So far, we have:
- Removed patron blocks on Overdrive. Now, anyone with a Finger Lakes Library System card has access to Overdrive/Libby, even if they have fines or their card was blocked for any reason.
- Added more titles that are always available without holds or waitlists. They can be found in the Libby app or in the following collections on our Overdrive site: Always Available Audiobooks, Classic Ebooks for Kids that are Always Available, Classic Fiction Ebooks that are Always Available, and Classic Nonfiction Ebooks that are Always Available.
- Thank you to Duke Classics for making their simultaneous use titles (titles that are always available with no waiting) available at no charge in response to COVID-19. Thank you, also, to the other publishers who are making their titles available at a lower cost. More information about what publishers are doing through Overdrive is available in this news announcement from Overdrive.
- Added links to AudioBookCloud, TeenBookCloud, RomanceBookCloud, and TumbleMath from TumbleBook. We already subscribe to TumbleBook Library. TumbleBook is making their collections available for free to schools and libraries through August 31, 2020.
- Thank you, TumbleBook!
- Continued to make our other digital collections available. They are all listed on our For the Public page and include RBdigital for digital magazines, Mango for language learning, HeritageQuest to learn about your family history, JobNow for help with job searching and advancing your career, and NoveList Plus and NoveList Plus K-8 for reading recommendations.
All FLLS staff that can work from home are doing so and most activity at FLLS’ physical location has ceased.
All FLLS member libraries will be closed to the public as of 3/17 at 8pm, please see table below for details:
|Apalachin Library||Closed until further notice|
|Aurora Free Library||Closed until further notice|
|Berkshire Free Library||Closed until further notice|
|Candor Free Library||Closed until further notice|
|Coburn Free Library (Owego)||Closed until further notice|
|Cortland Free Library||3/16 at 5pm until further notice|
|Edith B Ford Memorial Library (Ovid)||3/16 at 5pm – 4/14|
|Fair Haven Public Library||Closed until further notice|
|George P & Susan Platt Cady Library (Nichols)||3/17 at 5:30pm until further notice|
|Groton Public Library||Closed until further notice|
|Hazard Library (Poplar Ridge)||3/17 at 5pm until further notice|
|Interlaken Public Library||3/18 – 4/13|
|Kellogg Free Library (Cincinnatus)||Closed until further notice|
|Lamont Memorial Free Library (McGraw)||3/17 at 8pm until further notice|
|Lansing Community Library||3/14 – 4/13|
|Lodi Whittier Library||3/17 – 4/13|
|Newfield Public Library||Closed until further notice|
|Peck Memorial Library (Marathon)||Closed until further notice|
|Phillips Free Library (Homer)||Closed until further notice|
|Port Byron Library||Closed until further notice|
|Powers Library (Moravia)||Closed until further notice|
|Seneca Falls Library||3/17 – 4/13|
|Seymour Public Library District (Auburn)||Closed until further notice|
|Southworth Library Association (Dryden)||3/16 – 4/13|
|Spencer Library||3/16 – 3/29|
|Springport Free Library (Union Springs)||Closed until further notice|
|Stewart B Lang Memorial Library (Cato)||3/16 – 4/13|
|Tappan-Spaulding Memorial Library (Newark Valley)||3/16 – 3/30|
|Tompkins County Public Library||3/14 – 4/13|
|Ulysses Philomathic Library (Trumansburg)||Closed until further notice|
|Waterloo Library & Historical Society||3/18 – 4/14|
|Waverly Free Library Association||3/16 – 4/14|
|Weedsport Free Library||3/16 – 4/13|