Libraries have always played an important role in promoting and supporting efforts to obtain full participation within a community; the expectation is that there will be greater demands placed upon libraries in the upcoming census due to the transition to a primarily digital survey process – especially in the Finger Lakes Library System service area where many communities face connectivity issues. Finger Lakes Library System is a Census 2020 Community Partner and will assist member libraries by providing materials, training, consulting, and technology help.
“The count is mandated by the Constitution and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, a nonpartisan government agency. The 2020 Census counts the population in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and five U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Each home will receive an invitation to respond to a short questionnaire—online, by phone, or by mail. This will mark the first time that you will be able to respond to the census online.”
For basic information from the Census Bureau, visit the following links:
Member libraries, let us know your plans: take the survey! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CensusFLLS
Consulting, Resources, Training:
email@example.com or 607-273-4074 x236
- October 2019: A Needs Assessment Survey will be distributed to all member libraries.
- November 2019: A discussion will be held at the FALCONS meeting (11/21) and a web page with helpful Census information will go live.
- December 2019: Official Census marketing materials will be distributed.
- February 2020: A Q&A Webinar will be held.
- February-April 2020: Member libraries will be encouraged to promote the Census.
Handouts & Publications
- Libraries’ Guide to the 2020 Census (ALA)
- Understanding the Critical Role of Finger Lakes Library System Member Libraries in the 2020 Census
Census Bureau Resources
- Outreach Materials (Flyers, Handouts, Posters)
- Sample Copy of the 2020 Census Questionnaire
- 2020 Resources (Programming)
- 2020 Census Jobs
- Shape Your Future: The 2020 Census (Promotional Video)
- 2018 Providence, Rhode Island Census Test